Limoncello Cake with Lemon Curd and Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting
When my Mamma Angela's birthday was coming up this year I knew I wanted to make her a special cake. I decided to combine the two things she loves the most, my fresh lemon curd as a filling and raspberry cream cheese as a frosting. I started with my favorite basic Pan di Spagna (Italian sponge cake) and soaked the layers in limoncello for a special twist! You can use any liqueur you want instead or use lemonade for a non alcoholic version. Decorating it with a ton of fresh raspberries makes the presentation simple and elegant. Enjoy!!
For 8 Person(s)
For the Cake:
- 3/4 cup 00 flour or all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 ;arge eggs (room temperature)
- 2 lemons, zest only
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
For the Filling:
- 2 cups fresh lemon curd (see recipe below)
- 1 cup limoncello
For the Frosting:
- 24 ounces fresh or frozen raspeberries
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
After Ingredients Promo
- To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 inch spring form pan with butter or shortening and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl sift the flour and cornstarch together 3 times and set aside.
- Add the eggs, sugar, zest and vanilla to a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix on medium-high speed until ribbons form, about 15-20 minutes. Remember the eggs have to be whipped very well so the cake doesn't fall!
- Add the flour and cornstarch mixture little by little using a sifter or a strainer. Fold the mixture in gently with a rubber scraper so as not to deflate the eggs.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 40 minutes or until the center is springy. Cool completely.
- To make the frosting:
- To make the frosting add the raspberries to a saucepan on medium heat and stir until the berries break down and become liquid. About 5-7 minutes.
- Pour through a strainer to remove the seeds.
- Add the strained liquid back into the saucepan and simmer on low for another 5-7 minutes until the sauce has reduced to about 1/4 cup. Cool for about 15 minutes before using In a stand mixer combine sugar, butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Pour in the raspberry sauce and lemon juice. Mix until the raspberries have been fully incorporated.
- To assemble the cake:
- Trim the top layer off the cake and slice the cake into 3 even layers about 1 1/2 inches thick.
- With a pastry brush moisten your first layer with the limoncello and fill the layer with about 1 Cup of the lemon curd. Place the next layer on top and repeat. Moisten the top layer of the cake with limoncello as well. Frost the cake with the raspberry cream cheese and decorate with extra fresh raspberries.
After Directions Promo